Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lemon Asparagus Risotto

This is one of my favorite go-to recipes. It's fast and relatively easy and delicious!

2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, finely chopped.
2 Cups Minute Rice (White or Brown, whatever you like.)
1/2 Lb. Asparagus, cut in 2 inch pieces. (this is a seasonal dish... Asparagus can be hard to find on the cheap. Watch the ads.)
2 Cups Chicken Broth (I usually use one can which is close enough to 2 cups to work just fine.)
2 Tbs. Cream Cheese
Grated lemon peel and Juice from 1/2 Lemon.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Heat Olive Oil in a large skillet on medium heat. (When I say large, I mean it, you've got to fit all the ingredients in this thing...)

Add onion to hot skillet. Cook about 2 minutes or until onion starts to become translucent. Stir in rice, asparagus and broth. Bring all to a boil. Once you've reached boil, turn heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream cheese spread, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Stir til well blended. Salt and pepper to taste.

I've considered adding some chopped up lemon-pepper seasoned chicken breast to this, but I'm lazy and haven't bothered trying it yet. I'm sure it will be yum.

It really is crazy fast for something that seems pretty gourmet. One of my favorites, and it even re-heats well. Also, if you use brown rice, low fat cream cheese and low sodium broth, it's pretty dang healthy.

Want a taste? Come over on Tuesday around 7. Risotto will be on the table. (Just let me know ahead of time if you're coming.)

No comments: